Dr.B.R. Ambedkar Open University (BRAOU), formerly known as Andhra Pradesh Open University, is located in the city of Hyderabad. With a wide network of 206 study centers spread throughout the state of Andhra Pradesh, the University has for its motto "Education at Your Doorstep ". The University, the first of its kind in the Country was brought into being through an act of Andhra Pradesh State Legislature in August,1982.
In 1983, the University started functioning with a modest learner enrolment of 6,321 and 22 Study Centres. Since then there has been a steady growth in intake and an increase in the number of Study Centres. In 2001 the enrolment is about 1 lakh and the number of Study Centres have increased to 137. The total number of students on rolls in all the programs is about 4,50,000. Now the total study centres increased upto 200.
The University has carved a niche for itself in the field of open learning by
1. Providing access to a large number of heterogeneous learners cutting across the differences in age, gender, location and choice of courses
2. Innovatively designing the undergraduate curriculum as Foundation Courses, Core courses and Application-oriented courses
3. Creating a wide network of learner support systems
4. Reaching out to the unreached through multiple media including broadcast and telecast modes
5. Enhancing the interactivity of instruction through live phone-in and teleconferencing
6. Offering courses in three mediums of instruction - English, Telugu and Urdu
7. Giving hands on training in laboratory practice for Science and Technology Courses
8. Widening access to Research, Post-graduate, P.G. Diploma, Undergraduate, Certificate and professional programs through the distance mode.
Tell Us Your Requirement